WordPress plugin

Million Dollar Script Forums General WordPress plugin

This topic contains 9 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by  Flying Leon 1 month, 3 weeks ago.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author

nmharleyrider
    Participant

I checked all the forum categories but did not see a section on WordPress yet so I thought I would open one. I have made a small donation today to the MillionDollar Script development and hope that will help in a small way with what I assume is a big job. I would love to be part of any betatests you decide to do on the WordPress plugin.

Ryan
    Keymaster

Thank you so much for your ongoing support!

I was actually working on the WordPress plugin last night very late, or I guess early in the morning actually. I’ve setup a waffle.io and a slack chat which I have to figure out how to use. I do have an old Trello board that had some thing son it but I wasn’t really using it since it doesn’t really integrate with my other stuff, at least not easily the way I want. But that’s basically what waffle.io is, a kanban style board that I can automate from my IDE with my git commits.

I have it setup now so it automates the build in my IDE, it zips the plugin right up ready for people to use, it updates the version numbers and dates and everything. The plugin is actually now installable into WordPress, and I’ve added a settings page and started adding various features. It’s not really ready yet to test because most of the necessary features aren’t there yet but one feature I did add was the ability to identify if required plugins aren’t installed and take you through the process of installing them.

One of these plugins is WooCommerce (actually the only plugin so far) which will handle the ecommerce and payment module type stuff. I’m going to use this so I don’t have to do all the coding for that since there are tons of payment modules for WooCommerce already. In fact there are tons of other sorts of plugins for it as well so it should be possible to set it up however people want. Although some of the plugins might be things you have to pay for and maybe I will eventually be able to replace anything like that if people request such features enough.

I’ve done a lot of the integration work with WooCommerce as well so when you add a new product you can select which pixel grid to assign it to and whatnot. I still have to implement a process for adding pixels to the grids and for actually saving and creating the grids and serving the grids, and add various options for configuring them. I have some plans for how to do that and will see how it goes. I will likely have to do some experimenting to find the best methods with the technology available these days.

So it’s getting there =)

Thanks again!

nmharleyrider
    Participant

Thanks for the update. That is really good news. I’ll keep my ears and eyes open for further updates.
    Don

Nick
    Participant

Interesting concept that WP plugin, good idea
    But I see on another message that it dated from 3 months ago
    I’m interested but can’t wait another 3 months for it
    Any idea when this will be delivered?
    Thanks, later

Nick
    Participant

following 🙂

Ryan
    Keymaster

I’ve been working on it quite a bit lately but it still has a ways to go. It’s hard to estimate how long it will take because I have other things to do as well but I’m definitely working on this often so at this rate it won’t be another few months and hopefully more like a few weeks as long as nothing else comes up.

It’s possible you could use the current version and add the iframes to your WordPress install somehow but it doesn’t integrate directly with WordPress. I was going to attempt to make a way to migrate from the old version to MDS 3.0 but I’m not sure how well that will work and would definitely take some additional time to implement that.

Nick
    Participant

If you’re definitely working on this = that’s all that matters 🙂
    Keep up the good work!

Flying Leon
    Participant

It’s great to hear you are working on a WordPress plug-in for the MillionDollarScript and you will also be using WooCommerce plug-in for payment. I like your logo for MillionDollarScript 3.0. I look forward to seeing it when it is ready.

We have an idea for a new business where the Million Dollar Script technology might be able to help us. It has a significantly different slant on what has been done in the past.
    I have a few questions relating to your planned WordPress plug-in version, which you might be able to answer:

1) Will your MillionDollarScript plug-in support different size grids?
    2) Can you have multiple grids working independently on the same domain?
    3) Can you block out one or more area on the grid that can’t be purchased?
    4) I assume the plug-in will use short codes that you can insert on a WordPress page. Is that correct?
    5) Will you be able to use CSS to style the grids and controls?
    6) I know it is early days but do you have any screenshots of how your plug-in might look?

Thanks for any information and good luck with this development.

Ryan
    Keymaster

Hello,

1) Will your MillionDollarScript plug-in support different size grids?

Yes you will hopefully be able to create grids of any size. I am going to experiment with using AJAX to load blocks but also will likely have to section grids into smaller chunks so that they can load with fewer requests but also be able to process the images with limited amounts of RAM. So if you want a grid that’s a billion pixels you could have it but it would be divided into multiple images that load separately through AJAX as you scroll them into view. Maybe I will add options to control how big those chunks are and maybe even an option to use AJAX or not.

2) Can you have multiple grids working independently on the same domain?

Yes you will be able to create as many grids as you like. I haven’t perfected the interface for creating new grids yet but it seems like it will work similar to creating a new post and then you create a WooCommerce product and select the grid you wish to associate that product with.

3) Can you block out one or more area on the grid that can’t be purchased?

Yes this will be a feature since it’s a feature in the current script. I want to implement most of the features in the old script into the new one but a few things are outdated like the animations and some of the options will be unnecessary since it’s running in WordPress. Maybe at some point I can add new options for animations and whatnot.

4) I assume the plug-in will use short codes that you can insert on a WordPress page. Is that correct?

Yes, you will be able to use WordPress widgets and/or shortcodes to display them wherever you like. You could also use iframes similar to how it currently does and I don’t believe I have to implement a feature for that specifically since you should be able to just create a page and use an iframe wherever you like but I may add a simple way to do that anyway.

5) Will you be able to use CSS to style the grids and controls?

There will be options for adjusting the style of the grids and whatnot which will use CSS to some extent, you won’t have to create and upload new images for different block features like not-for-sale or sold, etc. However your site styles and layout and whatnot will be controlled through your WordPress theme.

6) I know it is early days but do you have any screenshots of how your plug-in might look?

I don’t have any screenshots yet, sorry. There isn’t much to see yet but I have been working on it fairly often. I will definitely publish some screenshots when there’s something worth seeing.

I’m working on the WordPress plugin for awhile every day again but I must admit that I haven’t gotten as much done on this project in the past month as I had hoped for, as often seems to be the case. I unfortunately got a little sidetracked again for a week or 2 with another important project that had a deadline. Annoyingly I’ve also had to reinstall windows from scratch and reinstall all my software which took up quite a lot of time too. Things are going great now though and I’m planning to spend as much time on this as I can from now on since I know people are patiently waiting.

Since last time I posted on this thread, aside from the things mentioned above, I’ve worked on the Settings screen which I’ve added a number of options to, trying to get all the necessary settings from the old script in and now I just have to finish implementing those new settings and do the rest of the tasks which there are quite a number of still. I tested a couple different methods for implementing the settings screen and am still not 100% sure which one I want to use so some more experimenting is in order there.

I’ve also created a fancy automated build script which uses some software called phing and composer to automate updating dependencies and zipping it up and even uploading to my test site and extracting it there. So things are even more speedy to work with now.

I contemplated using a framework called Themosis but I decided against it since I thought it may make things buggy and might only speed things up a little for the time being since I would have to take time to learn how to use it properly. It does look kind of slick though so maybe some day.

Once I am happy with the code and think it might be ready for some testing I will publish the code on github. You can track progress there as well if you like under the issues and project sections, but I don’t really have every little task listed there, only a small portion but some of the more important things to remember. Feel free to comment and discuss things there too if you have ideas and want to share. I will try to remember to check them off as I complete them. I don’t want to publish the code there yet since I don’t want people to try and use it since it doesn’t work yet and more importantly there may be security issues or it may blow your site up.

Flying Leon
    Participant

Many thanks for your very comprehensive and positive responses to all my questions. It was good to hear that your project is alive and active. I run a software company (not web based) so I fully understand that you can’t always work on exciting projects as much as one would like. We frequently have to work on higher priority projects to keep our clients happy. Such projects are not always the interesting and fun ones to do. This new business idea we have, is currently only in the planning stage. It won’t be part of my existing company and is a very different business. However, we feel that your Million Dollar Script technology within a WordPress environment would be very helpful in this new business.

I will keep an eye on your Forum and News pages and look forward to seeing it on github when you think it is stable enough for testing.

Sorry to hear you had to completely reinstall Windows from scratch. I can appreciate that this task takes a lot of time just to get back to where you were.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.